Horn of Africa Crisis UpdateJuly 26, 2011
With famine in Somalia and millions of people in need across the Horn of Africa, your support is urgently needed. Every donation means food for another child, another woman on the edge of survival: https://www.wfp.org/hornofafrica
$15 is enough to feed a hungry child or mother for an entire month through WFP. Only 50 cents per day. Donate here.
You can also donate via text message:
In the US: Text AID to 27722 to donate $10
In Canada: Text RELIEF to 45678 to donate $5
In UK: Text AID to 70303 to donate £3
More ways you can help:
Visit the CRISIS PAGE for the latest updates/resources.
Visit the BANNER BANK and pick a banner to post on your site by pasting the code. See attached sample. Let us know if you need a banner in a different size or language.
Here’s some links for additional information on the situation at hand:
Take the HORN OF AFRICA ONLINE QUIZ to learn more about the hunger crisis and feed a child.
If anything else, please keep in mind the following:
- The declaration of famine in southern Somalia underlines the immense humanitarian needs at the epicentre of this regional crisis. There are more than 11 million people in the region now in need of food assistance, and that number could rise further.
- WFP is ramping up operations to respond to growing hunger needs in Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Djibouti and Uganda.
- Malnutrition rates are particularly high among refugees from Somalia - especially children - who have been crossing the borders of Kenya and Ethiopia at a rate of around 1,500 per day in each country.
- More resources are urgently needed to address hunger among the most vulnerable in the Horn of Africa.
- The next rainy season is not due to start until October, and crops planted at this time will only begin to yield harvests in late 2011 or early 2012.